Monday, January 17, 2011

ACCEPTING YOUR LOT

Happy New Year!

It’s been a while, but hopefully I’ll be able to blog more frequently this year.

In the spirit of, I was full of plans and resolutions. But lurking in the depths was a dread I was trying my utmost to suppress. What if all these magnificent plans didn’t pan out? What if I spent another year swallowing disappointment after disappointment? What if yet another New Year found me devastated because I was exactly where I’d convinced myself I should never be again.

The load was too hard to bear. I had to calm down, so I sought counsel from various family and friends. Advice and platitudes were plenty, but none gave me a real sense of ease and any sign of solution.

One recurrent theme was accepting your lot in life. Simple enough…but was it?

I started thinking, what exactly did accepting your lot in life mean? Did it mean I should take all the bad and just let it be? Or perhaps I should give up on my dreams, because lets face it, time (in the real world) was a-wasting and I needed to get my head out the clouds?

Then, walking to work about a week ago I had, to borrow from Oprah, an ‘aha!’ moment.

Such a liberating thought settled in my mind. For some inexplicable reason, I thought Hey, God gives you your soul, some change and a chance. It’s you or people around you who quantify this gift with fear and fearful things and then call it reality.

It wasn’t something I had to face…because it really wasn’t as God INTENDED it for ME. I had become so wrapped up in my own self pity and raging, I forgot that it wasn’t me who was driving this vehicle. There really is a higher power out there, and if I just stop, and say ok, life on life’s terms, my higher power’s got me.

He reminds me that: I have my body, and it is able. I have my mind, and it is sound. I have my family, and they are willing. I have my friends, and they are kind. I can change my size, action my dreams, lean on my kin, and celebrate this wonderful, crazy, unpredictable chance I call my life.

I only have to focus on the here and now, but my possibility is limitless. And, if I’m ok with this…if I accept my ‘Lot in Life’, I can have that extraordinary existence that I’ve always considered my ‘ungettable get’.

Freedom.





1 comment: