Monday, October 25, 2010

DOUBLE STANDARD?


On my way into work this morning, I saw a very scary dreadlocked fellow wearing highly reflective aviators, standing on the side of the road – the dreadlocks were scary, the aviators were scary – it was just an all-round horrorfest – not a good start to the day – who needs coffee when people can just scare you awake by looking hideous!

Anywho…

He wasn’t a bergie, he was one of those Men On the Side of the Road fellows – you know, they mill about robots in the morning, and then they pile into a bakkie, go do manual labor, be it painting, gardening, more milling but now at your house, for the day and then go home.

Naturally I trivialize their intent and purpose, but it’s purely for arguments sake. I’m sure they’re elevating and finding, and more power to them. But this got me thinking for a split second.

How come ‘Women on the Side of the Road’ are destined to be shunned by society (and sadly me), but men are commended for fighting the good fight?

Technically both sell their bodies (in way). Although manual labor can hardly be compared to performing sexual acts for money – although with some men out there, manual labour would be an understatement.

This sight and then in turn the thought, just made me realize that

a) We’re so quick to pass judgment


b) Some double standards are so ingrained in our minds that we don’t recognize them for what they are.

So now I think, I’m going to be a little more conscientious about what I’m thinking, and just monitor my reactions – not be so quick to shoot off the cuff.

It was something I wanted to share… give you food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment